The Biggest Mega Million Jackpots of All Time
Lottery winners are considered to be among the luckiest people on earth. Once a person wins a Mega Millions lottery jackpot, he becomes rich overnight and also becomes the centerpiece of attraction in the media. Although, most of the lottery winners choose to hide their identities, a few of them own up.
It has been observed that the Mega Million lotteries have given out some of the biggest jackpots in the history of lotteries. In this article we will tell you about a few of such winnings that inspired many others to buy these tickets:
- As early as 2007, Mega Millions gave away a prize of $390 million. Elaine and Harold Messner were joint winners along with Eddie Nabors, Georgia. So, each of them received $195. Nabors expressed his desire of fishing using the prize money.
- A jackpot worth 540 million Dollar was won on 8th July, 2016 Mega Million in Indiana. This is regarded as the third biggest Mega Millions jackpot ever! The mega ball was 5 and the numbers that were drawn included 8, 19, 20, 55 and 73.
- In March 2014, someone from a liquor store in Maryland sponsored a few tickets and the store was lucky enough to receive the winning prize along with a couple from Florida, Raymond Moyer and Robin Collier. Their were planning to spend the money on traveling and watching a Notre Dam football match.
- November 2014 saw another jackpot win worth $326 million which was the fifth in the Mega Millions series.
- In 2012, a jackpot worth $218.6 million was declared. As per the general practice, the amount was divided into a number of people having tickets of the winning number. One of the prize-holders was the couple, Merle and Patricia Butler from Illinois who wanted it to be utilized for some good cause. Another share went to “The Three Amigos”, a group of friends from Maryland. The other winner chose not to disclose his or her identity. It is only known that he or she was from Kansas.
- Another jackpot of $648 million was won in December 2013. The most interesting thing over here is Ira Curry, a woman who bought tickets with numbers the same as the birthdays of the family member actually won the game. She shared her prize with Steve Tran, a guy who was working as a driver to someone in California. His life entirely changed after winning this jackpot!
Mega Million is one of the world’s largest lottery franchises. It ranks second, only after Powerball in setting records of the biggest-ever lottery prizes. Naturally, the biggest-ever winnings in this game, as discussed above, has been the topic of interest for many, all over the world.